Title of Work: "Birth of the Object and the End of the Object"
Medium: Oil on Canvas
While
searching through the American Wing, I came across this painting and
was instantly reminded of some of my previous abstract work. I like the transparency of the layers and the intricate
detail inside the fluid organic forms.
The combination of opaque and translucent forms gives a collage feel to
the painting. I also appreciate the playfulness within the
composition, it makes me think of a relaxed hand translating the
messages of a
meditative mind.
In terms of questions, I wonder what messages are contained within the forms, waiting to be unlocked. Could this be considered organized chaos? Or perhaps a rhythmic dance, a ritual between the lines and shapes
moving with great fluidity in search for harmonious coexistence?
Perhaps the biggest connection I can draw between this painting and my current work might be the "automatic drawing" nature they both posses. My work this semester has been centered around the exploration of line. Allowing myself the opportunity to "access to primal unconscious". The nature of automatic drawings present little demands, allowing for meditative exploration of endless possibilities.
Perhaps the biggest connection I can draw between this painting and my current work might be the "automatic drawing" nature they both posses. My work this semester has been centered around the exploration of line. Allowing myself the opportunity to "access to primal unconscious". The nature of automatic drawings present little demands, allowing for meditative exploration of endless possibilities.
===
===
Title of Work: Untitled, 2009
Medium: Collaged paper on printed paper
"Despite appearance, a fresh canvas is crowded with all sort of detritus, and I have no difficulty in dealing with any of it."
I was first drawn to the rich palette and the endless circular forms arranged in a web-like composition. My eyes moved around the canvas, scanning the sculptural elements that appeared to push through and emerge from the dark background. I found the heavily-textured surface irresistibly inviting and had to fight the urge to
touch it. The closer my eyes were to the painting, the stronger the pulsating urge in my hands to feel its energy. I strongly felt the colors were
meant to be seen with my
eyes closed and fully experienced through my finger tips. I thought perhaps if I could run my fingers through the surface, I would be able to decode the hidden
message buried beneath the layers of paint.
In terms of connections between Nahas' work and mine, I can see he also chooses to work with a bright and bold palette. I can also see some similarities in our use of repetitive circular elements and shapes. I really enjoy looking at Nabil Nahas' work and would like to learn more about his process. These are a few more pieces I came across while searching for the MFA Untitled piece.




No comments:
Post a Comment